Wednesday, June 8, 2011

I Don't Know Why She Swallowed A Fly ~ Perhaps She'll Die

It’s been a while since I’ve posted anything to this blog because I haven’t been able to think of anything to write about.  I’ve been blog-blocked.  Those creative juices have been squeezed right out of my brain.  It’s dry and wrinkly up there in my head – just like my skin.  So I started randomly reading blogs to see what other people were writing about.  I was hoping I would be inspired by their words, and my own words would begin to form in my puny brain and begin the journey down my neck, through my arms across the bony bridges of my fingers and shoot out like lightening onto the computer keys.  But no such luck.  After reading those blogs I was not only blog-blocked, I became blog-barren. 

It’s not that there aren’t a lot of really interesting and funny and creative blogs out there. There are.  Lots of them.  That’s the problem.  I read blogs with hilarious cartoons.   I read blogs with gorgeous photos and inspiring thoughts.  I read blogs with a purpose.  I read blogs with a theme.  Instead of feeling blog-inspired I felt more and more inadequate.  My pathetic little blog has no purpose.  It has no theme.  It doesn’t inspire.  It’s about nothing. 

And then, during my random blog reading, I stumbled upon this guy’s blog

When I opened the Stick I.T. tab it was like he’d taken some pages out of my own life with computers at work.  Just that very afternoon I’d spent way too long trying to remember all the plotter settings for a print job I’d printed dozens of times before because somehow they had disappeared and my very large map kept cutting off two inches two short.  I mumbled and swore (quietly) under my breath at I.T. because I knew one of their updates, or server changes, or who knows what, had caused my missing settings.  I didn’t know how they’d done it, but I knew they had.  After one too many failed printing attempts I threw that 40 x 48 inch map on the floor, somehow managed to stop myself from kicking and stomping on it and you have no idea what kind of restraint that took growled at it, picked it up, wadded it up into a big ball and crammed it into the recycle bin along with the other attempts.  That's one example of why, when I found it, I immediately felt a kinship with his blog.

After reading and commiserating with his Stick figures I looked over to his sidebar and saw the “HUH?” stick guy.   The code was there for the taking.  And I took it.  And I put it on my sidebar because finding this blog was not only the inspiration I'd been searching for; it was a sign. The fact that the code for something that would be appropriate for a blog about nothing was available and free for the taking was just plain kismet.  Because I figure when anybody finishes reading most of my blog posts, they are probably open-mouthed, staring at the computer screen saying, “huh?”  

Close your mouth now.  It’s fly season.

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Abby said...

Huh?

By the way, your link doesn't work. Also, I don't think your brain is puny. I'm sure you'll have lots of blog fodder when you get back from your next Ecuador trip.

Cathy said...

Oops. Thanks, Abby. I fixed it. Try now.