Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Box Heaven

First of all, let me thank my lovely daughter, Leslie, for making my blog look beautiful. Nice, isn't it?

Secondly, we are buried in boxes of kitchen cabinets of all shape and sizes. There will be no cooking tonight even though Dean came home loaded with groceries intent on cooking a meal.

Three out of four windows have been trimmed as well as the patio door. The fourth window will be finished tomorrow. It was a bit windy today so the installation of the window well was postponed until tomorrow. Here's a small experience to give you a bit of an idea of the type of wind we had today.

I was sitting at a stoplight on my way to work when a cowboy hat rolled down the street in front of me at break neck speed. I wondered who it belonged to as I as turned onto the street and continued to work. As I approached the next light I noticed a man off the side of the road struggling with something very large and black. His arms were stretched above his head, the black thing was blowing left and right and up and down. By the time I sat through the light and continued on I realized he'd parked his pickup and had been struggling with the plastic bed liner which apparently had been blown from is truck. By then he was standing in the middle of it on the side of the road. He was barely able to keep it on the ground. I have no idea how he was going to get it into his pickup. Maybe he didn't. Maybe the bed liner lifted off and followed the cowboy hat down the street.

When I checked a weather site this afternoon I saw there were gusts in some parts of Casper between 75 - 100 mph. The prevailing wind speeds for most of the day were in the 40 mph range, until it finally quit and brought cold weather and a few flakes of snow. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day for window well installation.

While the cabinets were being unloaded a black lab came into the house (since every door was open) and I thought Dean had come home early. I stood out of the way of the busy box haulers talking to the dog, telling it to sit, asking it where its Dad was, when I realized it wasn't even our dog. It was Tippo, from next door. He'd broken through the fence again and made himself at home in my house. Nothing like not being able to tell your dog from the neighbor's. Not only that, I had to admit it in front of two box haulers and the window guy. I managed to get Tippo home and propped up the broken-out fence planks with some of Dean's rocks. Apparently I didn't prop well enough because Tippo was out again when Dean really did come home so now Dean's out there screwing in the planks since nails I put in over the weekend didn't seem to work. I guess that's a sign that the rotting planks should be replaced. Oh, boy, another project.

In the meantime, I'm feeling overwhelmed with cabinets, workmen, and wind and I'm ready to hunker down for the night.






Share/Bookmark

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Ryan said if you can collapse the boxes maybe Roger can bring them down. He has great plans for a castle, oh boy.
I can't wait to see the cabinets installed!